Monday, August 15, 2011

College, eh? (August 15th 2011)

BEDA 8

I'm a girl with big dreams. So let's just say the hefty majority of them all are entirely unreachable. But. Hey. A girl can dream.(ahh. The power went out so I am going to have to post this later)
Anyhoo, the dream that I wanted to talk about today was college. It's been on my mind a lot recently because my brother is leaving for Carnegie Mellon on Saturday.
I spent a couple days of this summer doing some college research and reading. I have concluded after many (many, many) hours of research that my top three at the moment are Williams, Amherst, and Princeton. Yeah man. I told you I dream big. Those schools are difficult to get into for any extremely smart person. So why am I even considering, considering I'm not extremely smart? Don't get me wrong. I'd like to think I'm pretty smart (my overall average on every report card so far in high school being a 93) but there's no way I am even in the top 10% of my high school class. For Princeton, you have to be in the top 2%, pretty much, to get in.
I feel like I didn't try Freshman year though. I feel like I can do better. I feel like I didn't show all my teachers my creative side. Thus, my goal for the rest of high school is to try my hardest as much as possible while having a blast.
I set the bar high for myself Sophomore year and I want to get into "Distinguished Honors" at least once. Honors in my schools is a 90 overall average or higher. Distinguished Honors is an overall average of 95 or higher.
To achieve this goal I will try not to go on Youtube (my addiction) during the week days. I also want to get back into the mood of reading a lot. I used to read nonstop in 5th and 6th grade but then I discovered things like Facebook and texting and I never read much anymore. This year (2011) I have read more than I have read in 3 years and I want to continue that. I would like to thank John Green's Paper Towns for breaking my dry streak. After that I decided to read the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Harry Potter books since the last movie was coming out. Then I read An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska. Now.. I need to go start my summer reading.
At the moment I am reading Just Listen by Sarah Dessen and Vector by Robin Cook.
I will get into at least one of those three schools. I will. I will. I will do whatever it takes and I will work my butt off to get there. I WILL.


The grading system in my school is really harsh:
An A is a 93 and up
and failing is a 70 or lower.
There isn't a such thing as an "A-" or "B-" or any "-" grades.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment