Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Africa (August 9th 2011)

BEDA 2

Hi. So today, I went to the camp again. Then, I went to Ikea. Best place on Earth, sort of. It was great fun. My BEDA today will follow the topic of volunteer work (which is what I'm doing at the camp that I go to, as well).

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to go to Africa to volunteer and help people out the best that I can. Next summer that dream is 90% likely to happen. I turn 16 this year and the "Sweet Sixteen" is supposed to be a big deal. Instead of throwing a huge party, paying for a dress, and food and everything.... I will be going to either Ghana or South America for two weeks with a program. I received a phone call from one of the ladies who worked with the company and she said that I would either be painting murals, keeping children busy, working with the elderly, or helping out an orphanage, all of which sound absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to go. It is sort of expensive but I am positive that it will be worth it. It's a life changing experience. One that I would love to have.
When/if I go I will bring my camera to take lots of pictures. I have noticed, from other peoples' videos and such, that children love to get there photos taken, especially in third world countries. So I hope to take hundreds of pictures of children smiling and having fun.
I'm excited to meet new people and go on a completely new adventure. This would be my first time in Africa and also my first time by myself on a plane. I have to be honest with you. I'm not at all nervous. After all, more donkeys kill people every year than planes that crash. And I won't be going entirely on my own. I will have whoever comes from the program then also the other teens who came along. With strangers, but not entirely alone.



If you are an interested teen you can check out here: http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/programs/teen-volunteer-abroad.aspx
You can also go to China, Costa Rica, or Guatemala. If you are interested but above the age of 18 you can go to that website and click the tab "Volunteering Abroad" and go from there. 


The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment